A full grocery basket sitting on the ground in the middle of a grocery store aisle.
Starting this weekend, hundreds of thousands Riverside County residents will stop receiving their CalFresh benefits as part of the nationwide pause on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program due to the government shutdown. (Canva Images)

Starting this weekend, hundreds of thousands Riverside County residents will stop receiving their CalFresh benefits as part of the nationwide pause on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) due to the federal government shutdown.

“Roughly 347,000 residents of Riverside County will not be getting the $65 million in benefits that they receive each month to purchase food,” County Executive Officer Jeff Van Wagenen told the supervisors at the October 28 meeting. “The county team is working with our partners at 211, working with our partners at FIND Food Bank, [Feeding America Riverside and San Bernardino Counties (FARSB)] and other community partners and stakeholders making sure that we can point those most vulnerable residents to resources in the county to try and help hold them over while the shutdown continues.”

Other social services programs, such as CalWORKs and WIC, were not immediately impacted, though Van Wagenen warned they could be at risk if the shutdown continued.

The Riverside County Department of Public Social Services put together a resource guide here to support those in need of food, mental health or other assistance during the shutdown, which started October 1.

At the state level, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced last week that he would deploy the California National Guard on a humanitarian mission to support food banks operations across the state due to an expected increase in demand, much like he did at the height of the pandemic.

Newsom also said he would fast-track $80 million in state support for food banks, of which Van Wagenen said roughly $1.8 million was allocated to food banks serving the Inland Empire.

Stay up to date with the latest from The Record. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter today!

One of those food banks, FARSB, is preparing for an influx of residents needing food assistance by calling on those who can to “give food, give funds or give time,” Rachel Bonilla, public affairs and events coordinator, said.

The nonprofit currently serves roughly 300,000 people per month throughout the Inland Empire, Bonilla said, distributing food through its more than 250 charity partners in the region.

Bonilla encouraged residents to hold food drives, sign up to volunteer with the organization or donate money to help the food bank meet the increased need. She said that for every $1 donated, FARSB would be able to provide up to five meals to people in need.

“We have buying power that individuals don’t,” she said. “So anything that people can give, whether it’s $1, $5 or $10, makes a difference.”

Other food banks in the county include FIND Regional Food Bank, which serves Eastern Riverside and Southern San Bernardino counties, and the Western Eagle Foundation, which serves Southern Riverside County.

Those impacted by the federal government shutdown can call 211 for more information about food, mental health and other assistance programs available.

The Riverside Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news outlet providing Riverside County with high-quality journalism free of charge. We’re able to do this because of the generous donations of supporters like you!

Alicia Ramirez is the publisher of The Riverside Record and the founder and CEO of its parent company Inland Empire Publications.